Our Annual Trip

It is that time! Friday we depart on our annual camping and fly-fishing trip to the Davison River, in the Pisgah National Forest ("Land of the Waterfalls"), in the Great Smokey Mountains, part of the Appalachian Trail. The agenda for the weekend is... man vs. woman...woman vs. campfire smoke blowing in your face...man vs. the chase of the trout...woman vs. cooking over campfire...man vs. the swift natural flow of the river...woman vs. no coffee maker...man vs. the art of the perfect cast of the fly rod...woman vs. hard, cold ground...man vs. beast...woman vs. weird sounds all night...man vs. invigorating, robust, outdoor temperatures...woman vs. layers of clothing and somehow keeping a resemblance of womanhood...man vs. "back to nature" side...woman vs. primitive camping!!!

All that said, I do really look forward to these trips. My husband's enthusiasm is off the charts...he looks forward to these trips all year. Fall is his favorite time of year...everything about it. He loves the outdoors...everything about it. He loves fly-fishing... everything about it. He loves camping and hiking...you know already...everything about it. But, he sacrifices these things he loves, to hold down an important, fast-paced, always on his toes, office job. So three times a year, two times in October and one in November, his fly-fishing club loads up and everyone heads north. He bestows on me a great honor and privilege. My daughter and I are the only women that go on these trips. He brings us to share in something he loves. He wants to share it with us. And I do my best to embody the term "help mate". There are no demands from we women...we send Russell and Russ (our nineteen year old son) off to the river, making sure they have their flies, poles, waders and a snack in their fly-fishing vests and we handle the rest. We keep the campfire going, make the meals, keep plenty of coffee on hand (why is there such a need for coffee just because you are outside), make frequent trips down to the river's edge to take pictures (we camp right on the river), and upon their return to the campsite listen attentively to all the details of their trek.

This year we are adding something new but very special. My nephew, Chad, and his girlfriend Meagan, are going to join us. My husband will have not only our son (who is a first rate fisherman), but now our son's cousin (he is 23), to initiate into the art of fly-fishing. Chad, just like his uncle and cousin, is a lover of the mountains, camping, hiking, etc..Apart from being blessed with spending time not only with my family but also with my nephew and his girlfriend, I have a surprise for my husband! I am a hand quilter, I do nothing by machine. I am always working on one quilt or another. My husband, back during the summer, remarked that I had never made him a camping quilt. Oh, I have made several quilts, one especially that we call our mountain cabin quilt, but take them camping!? Our mountain camping quilt we take to the mountains but only when we stay in a cabin, with showers and heat. After all the work I put into that quilt I really wouldn’t want anything to happen to it. So to get back on track, I had him pick out some fabric he liked...mossy oak...and some alpine fleece in black..it was his choice. He chose the amount, he wanted it big enough to cover him (he is a big fella 6'3" and 200 plus lbs.), most of the quilts I make are based on math not on covering his feet. He assured me I didn't have to start on it right away, he didn't need it until October. Well, I have been secretly working on it. It is on his mind, because every couple of weeks he has mentioned it..."Well, honey, better start thinking about my blanket (quilt is a girl term). We only have 3 months till we go on our trip!"..."Well, honey, only two months till we go on our trip. Better think about getting started on my blanket."..."Honey, you know our trip is in a month..hope you have time to work on my blanket."...and bless his heart, the last he spoke of "his blanket" was.."Well, I guess you didn't have time to work on my blanket..guess you could work on it and have it ready for next year?" The truth is IT'S ready and I will hold out until Friday morning, then ask him can he make room to pack it. I know he will be pleased...just one small way to repay him for the special ways he honors me.

So Friday morning, we will try to head out at first light, blanket in tow, eager to hook up with my nephew, our minds swirling with thoughts of swift flowing streams, record sized trout, campfires, nighttime rituals of smores and campfire stories, endless pots of coffee and boundless love for each other....life doesn't get any better than this!!!!

Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep. O Lord, you preserve both man and beast. How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. For with you is the fountain of life, in you light we see light. Continue your love to those who know you, your righteousness to the upright in heart. Psalm 36: 5-10
Thank you sweet Jesus!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promises in the New Year!

She clothes herself in STRENGTH!

The Real You