Special Care

Last nite, my husband, daughter and I were searching for some special people on facebook. We found a resident that was a vital part of our lives when my daughter was in the ICU @ MCG. Angela is her name and we have always referred to her as "Dr. Angela". Even after three years out from the date of the accident, Dr. Angela comes into our conversations quite often. We talk about her between ourselves pulling little details from the time she was part of the intense time in the ICU. Both Amanda and I have also repeatedly spoke of her at our Patient Family Advisor's meetings that we attend @ the hospital.

Dr. Angela came into our lives at the very beginning of Amanda's accident. She was and is smart, confident, compassionate, pretty, and unique. She was the first intern/resident that I had ever seen who wore cowboy boots with their scrubs. I also remember a furry vest that she wore several times over her scrubs (the accident was at the end of January). Of course, the boots nor the vest defined her to us it just made her stand out to us. What bonded her to us was her compassion. I was so fragile, helpless to be able to do anything to save my child. I had to trust God, which didn't mean that Amanda was going to survive. That was one of those "put your money where your mouth is" situations. The battle that goes on inside you wears you down completely. I also had to put my trust in the doctors and nurses, people that I had never met before and knew nothing about. You are dealing with so much emotion you cling to what is tangible, and cling to those doctors and nurses we did!

Dr. Angela was part of the team of doctors, residents, and interns that took care of Amanda in the ICU, being a daily part of the decisions made about her care. I remember several times she came out to the waiting room to get my permission to perform a needed procedure on my child. It is a odd situation to be in now that I look back. We probably acted as though we had some choice in what was being done but in reality we had no choices...they asked for permission to do what was necessary to keep Amanda alive! We would ask questions, not really understanding or even being able to comprehend half of what was going on because you are just floating a long. Then we would give our permission and sign whatever it was that was handed to us. God had truly put Dr. Angela there with us. She was reassuring, she was compassionate, she was loving and kind.

There is one particular morning that will always stay with me and I will be forever grateful to her. Months before this accident my body had been depleted of all serotonin and I was on medication that I had to take. I knew that if I didn't get to my doctor and have him adjust my dosage for the situation I was in, I might not make it through this ordeal. Dr. Angela and I talked. I told her I had to leave the hospital to go to my doctor. I remember explaining how afraid I was to leave Amanda's side. I could barely think the worst little less speak it out, but in a quiet voice filled with much desperation I spoke five little words... "Please don't let Amanda die"...my eyes were filled with tears and my heart was pleading with this young woman! She, her eyes filled with tears, held my hand and promised...promised me that she would not let anything happen to Amanda...go, do what I had to, she would take care of my darling. Even as I write this my emotions are overflowing! I raced to my doctor, raced back to the hospital to find Amanda still with us.

God gave me Dr. Angela there that day. I know that my Saviour was comforting me through her. He was ministering to me through her and she responded to His call. She did not have to treat me with such compassion, reassurance, and strength. And in this day and age, being in the medical field, others might have labeled her answer to me as a liability...don't promise anything....someone might sue you. That quiet, personal exchange between us will never be forgotten and was a lesson to me.

At the worst time of my life, a time when I was physically and emotionally done in, my Lord and Saviour loved me enough to meet me in a tangible way. I couldn't think clearly, I couldn't pray...my mind was all consumed with my daughter. But, my Jesus knew what I needed and provided it for me...a young woman, filled with compassion, who had a big heart and a love for people. My God knew that I couldn't carry this burden by myself so He took it from me. He carried me and cared for me in a way that left a lasting mark. Something that Dr. Angela probably doesn't even remember has left it's mark, was used to strenghten my relationship with my God and Saviour. Again, I have to say..."What a mighty God we have the privilege to serve!" Thank you Dr. Angela for letting yourself be used, for your kindness, your strength, your love and compassion. And thank you, my Lord, for the depth and breath of love you have for this little family from the country!

"And my God will meet all your need according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

Comments

  1. Great post! It reminded me a lot of what was discussed in Life Group yesterday at church. Carrying one anothers burdens and allowing Jesus to walk with us in the trials that we face. He never said that the road would be easy but He did PROMISE to always be there. God does send the right people into our lives at just the right time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Promises in the New Year!

She clothes herself in STRENGTH!

The Real You