My Little Friend!

I have a little guy that shows up at my door. His has a huge personality packed into a very little body! He just turned three but is smart beyond his years. Confidence is not one of the traits he lacks and it is hard to be serious when you looks up at you from those big eyes...he brings us a lot of joy.

A few weeks ago my little friend showed up at our door, opened the screen and walked right into the living room. He had a toy he wanted to show us and immediately started a conversation. Timid is he not! He crawled up on the couch, talking the whole time, trying to tell me his news but quite distracted by our bloodhound that was very excited we had company...Yes, it was a bit chaotic! Actually, our bloodhound is much bigger than this little fella and gets overly excited when he comes to visit. Once, I got the dog under control...well sort of...and sat down beside my friend I started to question him. You see, I had an idea that he was paying us a visit but his mama didn't know he had wandered over. As a responsible parent I knew that I had to get to the bottom of the situation and deliver him back home...for his own safety he needed to understand the fact that unless he had permission he was going to have to go back home...no matter how darn cute he is!

I was sitting beside him and asked him if his mama knew he was out visiting. He didn't answer my question and continued to talk about his toy. I repeated the question and still didn't get an answer. So I stopped him from talking, asked him to look at my face, and with a little more firmness asked him again. The little monkey turned his head the opposite direction from me and responded that he could not hear me talking! He actually said, "I don't hear you talking!" I told you this fella is bright! So, I repeated my question and got the same response...I didn't view this as disobedience. I knew he just didn't want to go home...not hearing me was his way of getting his way.  So, I asked him to take my hand, that we were going on a walk together. Luckily for me he bought it. I walked him back home and had a little talk with him reinforcing what I knew his mother's conversation with him was going to be.

I got to thinking about our relationship with God. This mirrors a few of the times God has tried to talk to me. God is talking to me but I turn my head and heart and say, "I don't hear you talking"! Most of the time it isn't because I want to be rebellious, it's because I want something else in my life sooo much. If I pretend I don't hear God talking to me then I don't have to make any changes. As it was with my little friend and I, it is also with God and us...He talks to us to protect us, to lead us, to straighten the path for us, and to bless us. I want my little friend to be safe, I want him to learn to listen to the people in authority over him. This kind of training now will help him in his personal walk with the Lord as he grows. Have I said to God in the past "I don't hear you talking!" YES...I hope though that I do this less and less. I pray that I am continually learning to put my trust in the one Almighty Father that only wants the best of the best for me. I desire a heart that seeks out what God wants for and in my life more than what I want. And I thank and praise my Lord that he has brought this lesson back home to me through this wonderful little three year old friend.

God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways;he does great things beyond our understanding. Job 37:5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promises in the New Year!

She clothes herself in STRENGTH!

The Real You