Those Little White Lights


Christmas is over and the decorations are all packed up until next Thanksgiving, though not necessarily all the boxes are put into storage! There was a slight feeling of sadness as I hauled the tree out and packed up all those strings of tiny white twinkling lights. In fact, it was a feeling that was also echoed by my husband as we drove down a country road near our house. He remark how dull, how boring everything looked now that the Christmas lights have all been taken down. I must say it surprised me a little, although it shouldn't have...I have a husband who loves and enjoys Christmas!
I love those tiny white lights we use at Christmas. Starting from the day we put up our tree and plug the cord in for the first time I find a childlike joy, a kind of peaceful excitement, a special stirring that wells up inside of me. My husband will often find me sitting in the living room at night, by myself, covered up in a warm cozy blanket., in front of the tree just looking at the lights. There are a lot of thoughts that run through my mind as I stare at all those tiny white bulbs. I find myself overcome by how many blessings God has poured out over me and my family during my lifetime."For You, O Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him as with a shield." Psalm 5:12.  As the tiny lights blend in together, yet I know they are still hundreds of individual tiny lights , I am humbled by the mercy God has showered over me and my family again and again. "For out of His abundance we have all received one grace after another and spiritual blessing upon spiritual blessing and even favor upon favor and gift upon gift." John 1:16.  Looking at how those tiny lights give a soft, warm, comforting glow to the whole room I am reminded how personal, how reliable, how real, how comforting God's promises are for me and my family. "Not one of all the Lord's good promises to the house of Israel failed; everyone was fulfilled". Joshua 21:45.  And as those tiny white lights, if you fix your gaze on them long enough, twinkle, I am overwhelmed by God's presence with me right then! "For You make him to be blessed and a blessing forever; You make him exceedingly glad with the joy of Your presence." Psalm 21:6.  It becomes, not just the tree, the lights, and myself anymore but I know God sits there, next to me, reminding me how he is always with me...Always!...not just when there are tiny white lights on the Christmas tree. "And he said, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." Exodus 33:14

Oh, how special Christmas is! But, yesterday, God reminded me that his blessings, mercy, promises, and even himself are there in that same extraordinary way every day. Because our God is a God that makes that special stirring, that Christmas joy, that peaceful excitement, that twinkling lights experience available to us each and every day. He puts his Holy Spirit in us, alive and working every day to stir us, to comfort us, to lead us, to speak to us, to excite us, to draw us ever closer to Him!"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." John 14:26. He uses our family and friends, like those twinkling lights, to focus us back on his words, his promises, his mercy, his grace, his love, his blessings...HIM!  Thank you Lord for the those tiny white twinkling lights you use as a gift and reminder for me at Christmas and all the twinkling lights you bless me with each and every day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promises in the New Year!

She clothes herself in STRENGTH!

The Real You