From BIG to the quiet and gentle

I don't know about you but I have always loved things in life to be BIG! When I was a child I wanted the BIG present under the tree, when I went to school I wanted a BIG pencil box. As a teenager, when my boyfriend, later to be known as my BIG husband (6'3", 230 lbs), took me to Hardees for lunch I always ordered the BIG deluxe hamburger. And the trend continued...I had two BIG babies, one ten pounder and one eleven pounder ( I know this makes them kind of sound like Thanksgiving turkeys but I mean no disrespect they were both beautiful babies, just BIG) and drove a wonderful Big suburban. BIG seemed to be the way to go, but not just with tangible items....even with experiences.

As a child, my family traveled a lot, not just to places within the U.S. but all over the world. I was fortunate to see places and cultures that a lot of people live their whole lives and do not get to experience. It wasn't just the places, it was the BIG way my parents delivered the experience. If you remember the academy award film entitled "Life is Beautiful", then you have a glimpse into life with mom and dad. It was not the amount of money they spent, I have been told we traveled on a shoestring, it was that the way they delivered the experience made you feel privileged and like a BIG shot. I remember living on the island of Taiwan and my dad renting a touring bus and a guide to take my family, along with my great Aunt Ethel and Uncle George, to tour the island. The little oriental guide would let me stand at the front of the bus and use the microphone just like I was the guide. Boy, did I feel BIG and for a short time thought I might be discovered and become a star.

One of my favorite movies, I have it in the 35th anniversary, two DVD, gold set, is "The Ten Commandments" from the 1950's. I love that movie and can watch it over and over and over again. Everything in that movie is BIG, starting with the director Cecil B. DeMille, the star Charlton Heston and of course, one of the major scenes the parting of the Red Sea. You don't get much BIGGER than parting the Red Sea.

These things might play a part in why, in my Christian life, I tend to look for BIG displays from God. I want in a BIG way to be obedient to my Father, good training by my parents, so I pray and I ask HIM to show me the way. But, I think that at times I tend to look for the burning bush, the man walking on water, the lame jumping up and dancing from the room. I want to hear my Lord in a BIG way so I can be sure I have heard him.

Today he spoke to me in a BIG way about hearing Him in a quiet voice. Isn't that ironic! Today in church we read, "The Lord told Elijah, 'go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.' Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire,  but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." I Kings 19:10-12. That gentle whisper was the Lord speaking to Elijah.

Today, in a gentle voice the Lord has reminded me, that BIG is good and sometimes necessary but we can and will hear him the stillness of a moment, speaking to us in a quiet and gentle voice. It is of great comfort and joy to me to know that He is often found gently whispering in the quietness of a humble heart. This week I will put BIG to the side, though I might have to watch the "Ten Commandments", and sit quietly in your presence to hear your gentle whisper. Thank you once again dear Father,  for giving me a glimpse into the journey from
the here and after.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promises in the New Year!

She clothes herself in STRENGTH!

The Real You